Monday, February 3, 2014

Movie Review: "The Pact" -- No Stars, but Packs A Punch

"The Pact" is an excellent horror movie written and directed by Nicholas McCarthy.  I'd tell you more back story about him and the actors, but I never heard of any of them until I watched the end credits and realized Casper Van Dien, the guy from that flop of an alien bug movie, appeared minor role as a cop / detective.  In their defense, I'm sure they never heard of me and they've accomplished a heck of a lot more in the movie business and not spending any of their spare time reviewing movies in a blog barely anyone reads.

This movie feels indy, seems like it's an indy, but it's shot and lit like the real thing.  It's a good story, has very good and convincing acting, and excellent lighting/cinematography.  It feels bleak and it's lit with a jaundice discomfort.

By the way, who cares if it IS an indy, anyway?  I'd like to see more movies made completely out of the mainstream, I can't wait for the day someone makes a movie and not a single corporation can touch them so the profits actually go to those who deserve them -- the writers and production company (and the actors, too -- but who needs to stick up for them when they have an awards show every week and gloat about how awesome they are?!)

The Pact's special effects weren't over the top, modest, but convincing.  Not once did I feel like once again I was watching another "almost" totally professional film where it didn't quite make it because the budget was so low the "crew" (the director's two buddies and some guy named Jay whose dad is a doctor so indulges his son with fancy video equipment) had to use an office chair for a camera dolly.  I believe I didn't see any dolly shots in this movie, the camera tilts and pans, but who says every movie needs a sweeping camera shot to immerse the audience?  Apparently, no fancy hollywood camera rigs mattered as the action, suspense, and supernatural action unfolded.  It's seamlessly edited and each moment purposeful.  I have no doubt Nicholas McCarthy knows how to squeeze every last ounce of production value out of his shoots, that's for sure!

If you like a bit of suspense ala Hitchcock with a darker twist, perhaps more "Psycho" and less "Rope", with a bit more gore and actual supernatural interventions, watch it.  It's a good two hour ride!

The creepy twist at the end ties everything neatly together.  I recommend "The Pact" on Netflix, it has tension, suspense, and some mystery -- along with some excellent acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment